14 ways you can make your house show better
By Diana Lundin
Copyright © by Move, Inc.
As with any type of decluttering project, make piles of things you’re going to save, things you’re going to donate, and things you’re going to throw away. Be ruthless. There’s a lot of money at stake, after all, especially if you need to sell your house fast.
- Keep furniture to a minimum in your living areas so that your rooms look bigger.
- Clear out shoes, coats, umbrellas and other outdoor items from your foyer or mudroom.
- Move out big pieces of equipment, such as guitars, amps, drum sets, or exercise equipment.
- Take down your personal photos and store them for yourself. Let the buyer imagine putting pictures of their own family on the walls, tables and shelves.
- Get rid of old newspapers, books and magazines, recycling if you can.
- Organize your wires in computers, printers, televisions and other electronic equipment so that it doesn’t look sloppy and overwhelming.
- Take away those boxes of tissue, medicines, magazines and other items you might have on your nightstand and keep just lamps, clocks and maybe a book or two on them.
- Edit your bookshelves so that you have a neat, orderly space with books and perhaps a few decorative items, like a vase, globe or other art object.
- Remove everything from your kitchen countertops, keeping only essentials like a toaster. Add decorating items sparingly (bowls of unblemished fruit look nice). And clear off all those magnetized coupons and your child’s artwork from the refrigerator.
- Arrange the shelves in your pantry nicely. Have everything point in the same direction so that it looks neat and organized.
- Get rid of sickly plants and only keep a few healthy looking ones on display.
- Make sure your beds are made and all extraneous items, like clothes, toys or shoes, are off the floor.
- Clear out the bathrooms and spruce them up with some fresh soaps, towels or maybe flowers. Hide your razors, toothbrushes and shampoos out of sight in a cabinet while your house is being shown.
- Clean out your closets so they aren’t packed to the rafters.